what site's frustrating you today? things that make sites difficult to use

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Graphic designers are not web designers!

As an established member of the technology community I encounter things on a daily basis that simply frustrate me or otherwise enamore me. Technology is my both my muse and my nemesis. By the same token the users of technology present the same spectrum of frustration. First there are those who are unable to learn technology regardless of the amount of effort expended and at the other end are those users who opitomize (sic) the old adage that a little knowledge can be harmful. Of course, as a web professional, this is simply par for the course.

Give it some thought...think about graphic designers and web sites. Every graphic designer I've dealt with, I've butted heads with. Not because they weren't incredible artists who couldn't take a group of adjectives and adverbs and transform them into a visual identity...they could and they have. Rather, it's because these same graphic designers think they can directly apply their design theories to the web space. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Now, take a video/television producers and they could more easily transfer their design theory to the web. Why? Because we interface with the web via a screen. The web is dynamic and interactive. The web is in real-time with users tuning in...and some tuning out.

Traditional graphic design has a fixed medium and has one visual opportunity to relay a message or an identity. A web site can have areas for specific user-segments, with complimentary visual designs but different layouts. Now, this doesn't mean that there aren't lessons that web designers shouldn't learn from traditional graphic design...after all one definitely came before the other and influenced it in many ways. But what it does mean is that graphic designers need to take time to understand web space...to understand what usability and accessibility are...care about what and why web standards are important...and realize that for a graphic designer to design successful and usable sites requires the same work and transition needed for a baker to become a chef....now I'm hungry - off to eat.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So, that's it. My first blog. I plan on using my piece of the blogosphere to share (and rant) about things I find frustrating about my industry...the internet. Things about technologies, trends, and just plan stupidity on the parts of various people. I invite you to also comment with your frustrations or likes about things. Hopefully from the dialog that arises from this blog I will be able to synthesize some information that will help me be a better web professional and to pass on the lessons learned from you.

Also, take time to visit Robert Scoble's blog Scobleizer. Scoble is one of the godfathers of blogs and is Microsoft's resident bloguru (blog-guru....just made that up-absolute genius!). I recently heard him speak and although I'm into RSS feeds already, he helped focus my attention to blogs and really allowed me to see the potential, both personally and professionally, of the blgosphere.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sara Schwartz said...

Yeah you lost all internet respect when you said "blogosphere" and "bloguru" What are you 48?

11:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home